Chorley are prepared for the re-start of the 2020/21 campaign

Chorley will be ready and able should the 2020/21 football season reconvene in some form in the next few weeks.

Wednesday, 3rd March 2021, 12:35 pm
Updated Wednesday, 3rd March 2021, 12:56 pm

Boss Jamie Vermiglio looked like he would be telling his players to stand down after clubs in the National League North and South narrowly voted to declare the season null and void last month over a dispute with regards to funding with the Government.

The Magpies made no secret of their wish to carry on playing and voted in favour of completing the campaign.

They have since joined forces with a number of other clubs asking the National League Board to consider proposals which would allow them to carry on playing.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Chorley's players celebrate scoring a goal this season (photo:Stefan Willoughby)

The league’s general manager Mark Ives revealed last weekend that he and his colleagues would be willing to listen to any viable alternative put forward.

Clubs in Chorley’s league, the National League North, voted by 15 to seven to halt the season.

And although National League South clubs voted to play on (by 12-9), the overall majority of 24-19 meant both competitions were scrapped.

Interestingly, in the National League – the top flight of non-league football – clubs voted 13-7 to continue their season, which meant across the three divisions more clubs voted to play on rather than declare it null and void.

However, the National League’s vote was ultimately separate to the NL North and South and that is the reason why their season has continued.

But the movement to carry on playing among the NL North and South clubs, who voted in favour, appears to be gathering momentum, and that is the reason why the Magpies have continued to train and will play a Salford City XI in a friendly this weekend.

"There’s a large group of clubs in the majority from the South division but also some from the North who still have an appetite to continue to play,” said Vermiglio.

“The last thing I heard is that the league are looking at some possible solutions, although it all has to be ratified by the Football Association but there is a glimmer of hope that there could be something happening.

“The vote was in favour of null and void with the way the voting process was constructed.

“There were two separate votes – one in terms of voting on your own division and one on the National League as a whole.

“When you look at all of the votes together, it shows that most clubs wanted to continue but this is where the conversations are being had.

“Some clubs are looking at legal action but we are not looking at taking legal action.

“We have just put our hand up and said if there is something there to be played for, we will play for it.”

Support us and become a subscriber today. Enjoy unlimited access to local news, the latest football stories and new puzzles every day. With a digital subscription, you can see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Click here to subscribe.