'˜Dirty' restaurant hit by £7,630 fine

An established Indian restaurant has admitted having a dirty kitchen and being reduced to keeping a fridge door closed using an oil drum.

By The Newsroom
Thursday, 18th August 2016, 9:42 am
Updated Thursday, 25th August 2016, 4:21 pm
Ashiana Tandoori Restaurant at Greenhalgh.
Ashiana Tandoori Restaurant at Greenhalgh.

The Ashiana restaurant and takeaway on Fleetwood Road, Greenhalgh will have to pay out a total of £7,630 in fines and court costs after pleading guilty to eight hygiene offences and two health and safety charges.

The 61-year old registered food business operator for the Ashiana, Manick Miah, represented the Ashiana (North West) Ltd before Blackpool Magistrates.

Anita Elliot, prosecuting fr Fylde Council, told how the restaurant had failed to react to advice and a formal improvement notice after the premises had been checked by health officers.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

She said paper work was not up to date and that surfaces and equipment which came into contact with food was not kept clean or disinfected.

She told how a plastic jug used for food was unsuitable as was a warped and scratched cutting board.

Washing and toilet facilities for staff were unsuitable without adequate hot water or drying facilities. A packet of cheese was past its use by date nd on one visit by council staff meat was found in unsatisfactory conditions.

There was obstructions in the kitchen walkways and a fridge was kept closed by propping the oil drum against the door and a freezer’s handle was broken.

The prosecutor said: “There was dust and food debris on shelves and grease on walls.

“Handles and light switches were dirty.”

“The insect screen was damaged. The restaurant was given and improvement notice telling it what work was needed but the bulk was done when it was re-visited.

Miah told the court: “I apologise for it. There is a lot of competition in this business and I am trying my best to get everything done in conjunction with the council.”

Fining Miah, the Bench told him: “Each charge is a serious matter. Cleanliness is essential in the hospitality industry. There was negligence on this company’s behalf and certain metter still fall short of what is expected.”