Preston man arrested after 5-mile police chase ends with car crashing through brick wall

A 5-mile police chase from Hutton to Preston ended with a car crashing through a brick wall yesterday afternoon (Wednesday, April 15).

By Matthew Calderbank
Thursday, 16th April 2020, 1:41 pm

Ambulance crews were called to the junction of Wellfield Road and Atholl Street following the crash at around 5.15pm.

Footage from the scene shows a silver Citroen C4 which had mounted the pavement before crashing through a brick wall outside an office building.

Two police 4x4's were at the scene at the time of the crash, with one of the BMW X5s also appearing to have hit a wall.

Police at the scene of the crash in Wellfield Road, near the junction with Atholl Street, in Preston yesterday afternoon (Wednesday, April 15)

Lancashire Police has now confirmed that the crash happened after a police chase that began in Hutton.

Officers had pursued the car for more than 5 miles before it crashed into a wall at the corner of Wellfield Road and Atholl Street.

A 35-year-old man has been arrested, but Lancashire Police was unable to confirm the alleged offences.

A police spokesman said: "A silver Citroen collided with a wall on Ashton Street at around 5.15pm yesterday after a short police pursuit through Hutton.

One of the vehicles involved in yesterday's incident in Wellfield Road, Preston

"There was a road closure at the junction of Wellfield Road and St Mark’s Road while emergency services cleared the scene.

"There were no reported injuries.

"A 35-year-old man was arrested in connection with the incident."

Despite police reporting no injuries, North West Ambulance Service said a man was treated at the scene before being taken to hospital by ambulance.

An NWAS spokesman said: "We took a call at 5.18pm yesterday and attended an RTC (road traffic collision) on Wellfield Road.

"We sent an ambulance and we treated a male patient and took him to Royal Preston Hospital."

The ambulance service was unable to confirm whether the injured man was the arrested driver or a police officer.

Wellfield Road was cordoned off between Vine Street and St Mark's Road/Ashton Street for more than an hour.