Probe goes on into how footballer Luke, 17, was electrocuted as inquest set to open
An inquest is set to open on Monday into the death of 17-year-old footballer Luke Bennett who was electrocuted at a ground in Euxton last Saturday.
The Coroner will hear evidence of identification and is then expected to adjourn the hearing to a later date.
Investigations are continuing into the tragedy which is believed to have happened when a long metal pole Luke and two friends were holding touched an overhead power cable.
The AFC Fylde academy player died at the scene. The two other teenagers were taken to hospital suffering from burns, but have since been discharged.
Officers from Chorley Council have visited Euxton Villa FC's ground in Runshaw Hall Lane and inspected the scene of the incident.
Coun Beverley Murray, executive member for early intervention at Chorley Council, said: “We are aware of an incident at Euxton Villa F.C. in which a young man tragically lost his life and two others were injured.
“Environmental Health officers from the council have visited the site and have been working with representatives of Euxton Villa F.C. in an attempt to establish the circumstances of this awful tragedy.
“On behalf of Chorley Council, I would like to express our deepest condolences to Luke’s family and friends at this terribly sad time.”
It is understood that Luke and his two companions were not authorised to be at the ground when the tragedy happened around 6pm.
Initially it was reported they were trying to retrieve a football from a pond when the metal pole touched the overhead cable. But it is now believed that was not the case.
Talented footballer Luke, who lived in Chorley, was described as "a beautiful boy in every way" by his family in a statement.
They expressed their "inconsolable" grief at losing him and said: "his beautiful light will never go out."
His club, AFC Fyled, said he was a “naturally gifted” youth player who would “light up a room with his bubbly personality.”