Match report: PNE 4 Brentford 2

Preston North End scored four goals in a game for the first time this season as they finally got the better of bogey team Brentford.

By The Newsroom
Saturday, 11th February 2017, 4:04 pm
Updated Tuesday, 28th February 2017, 12:49 pm
Aiden McGeady celebrates his first-half equaliser
Aiden McGeady celebrates his first-half equaliser

After six straight defeats against the Bees, including September's 5-0 drubbing at Griffin Park, North End set the record straight.

They had to come from behind though, the visitors taking a 12th minute lead through Tom Field.

The outstanding Aiden McGeady brought North End level within six minutes with a low finish from 25 yards.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Callum Robinson gives PNE the lead against Brentford

Simon Grayson's men then turned on the style for a spell in the second half, Callum Robinson touching home a McGeady cross to put them in front,

McGeady curled home a delightful finish for the third goal with Daryl Horgan netting the fourth soon after, that his first goal in a Preston shirt since moving from Dundalk last month.

Brentford cut the deficit with a late deflected Maxime Colin goal but it didn't stop North End taking the three points - this the first time this campaign they have come back from a losing position to win.

Grayson had made two changes to the side which drew at Barnsley, Horgan and Robinson returning to the side in place of Simon Makienok and the injured Paul Gallagher.

Callum Robinson gives PNE the lead against Brentford

Brentford made the brighter start, Colin's shot from the edge of the box in the fifth minute pushed behind by Chris Maxwell.

Greg Cunningham got behind the visitors' back line when a Robinson shot was deflected into his path but the left-back pulled his effort across goal and out beyond the far post.

The Bees took a 12th minute lead, Field left unmarked in the box to meet Jota's corner from the right and bullet a header into the top corner.

McGeady's cross field pass sent Tyias Browning racing into the box, the right-back taking a touch before blazing a shot over the bar.

North End were only behind for six minutes, McGeady collecting possession in midfield and pushing forward before finding the bottom corner with a powerful shot from 25 yards.

It needed the combined efforts of Andreas Bjellend and keeper David Bentley to prevent Horgan meeting Browning's pass in the box as Preston looked for a quick second goal.

Robinson tested Bentley with a 20-yard shot which he pushed out, while McGeady was inches too high with a free-kick from the edge of the box, one awarded after Jordan Hugill was felled by Colin.

Brentford mounted some pressure in the last 10 minutes of the first half, Jota shooting wide from distance.

In the 43rd minute, Maxwell saved with his legs from a Bjellend shot, the rebound falling to Jota who fired over the bar.

Sixty seconds later, Ryan Woods' pass sent Florain Jozefzoon through on goal, Maxwell coming out of his box to saved with his feet.

A minute into the second half, Horgan's cross found its way through to McGeady, his low shot saved comfortably by Bentley.

North End went in front in the 52nd minute, McGeady checking on to his right foot on the left-foot and curling over a low cross which Robinson flicked past the keeper.

Brentford responded with a shot from skipper Harlee Dean which cleared the bar by inches.

In the 63rd minute, Cunningham cleared off the line after the far post after Field's low cross had been flicked goalwards by Lasse Vibe.

Tom Barkhuizen joined the action from the bench, replacing Robinson, the move seeing the former Morecambe man play on the left-wing with McGeady moving inside to play off Hugill.

Two goals in two minutes put North End well and truly in control, this the first time they had scored four this season.

McGeady made it 3-1 in the 75th minute with a wonderful finish.

Collecting the ball 25 yards out in a central position, he rode two challenges before curling a delightful shot into the top corner.

The fourth goal came quickly, Horgan racing clear on goal and slotting a low shot past Bentley as he came out.

Hugill almost made it five, his header from McGeady's cross dropping inches wide.

McxGeady departed the action in the 86th minute to a standing ovation, replaced by Stevie May who made his first appearance since tearing three ligaments in his right knee in Novrmber 2015.

Brentford reduced the deficit in the 89th minute, Colin's shot catching a deflection off Paul Huntington and flying into the roof of the net.

In stoppage-time, May got clear on goal but was denied a comeback goal by Bentley who spread himself to save.

PNE: Maxwell, Browning, Clarke, Huntington, Cunningham, Horgan (Johnson 81), Pearson, Browne, McGeady (May 86), Robinson (Barkhuizen 68), Hugill. Subs (not used): Boyle, Makienok, Beckford, Lindegaard.

Brentford: Bentley, Colin, Bjelland, Dean, Field, Woods, McEachran (Sawyers 76), Jozefzoon Canos 56), Yennaris (Kerschbaumer 76), Jota, Vibe. Subs (not used): Egan, Clarke, Barbet, Bonham.

Referee: Tony Harrington (Cleveland)

Attendance: 10,130 (414 away)