Coasters denied by County at the death

Danny Rowe battles with Stockport's Sean O'HanlonDanny Rowe battles with Stockport's Sean O'Hanlon
Danny Rowe battles with Stockport's Sean O'Hanlon
AFC Fylde 2, Stockport County 3

Jake Kirby’s stoppage-time strike for Stockport provided the final twist in a pulsating match in which Danny Rowe’s late equaliser looked to have earned Fylde a point.

Rowe was recalled to the starting line-up in place of Matt Blinkhorn, the only change to the side which won at Curzon Ashton 48 hours earlier as Fylde sought a fourth straight win in Vanarama National North.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

In the cautious early stages, the outstanding Sam Finley had the first meaningful shot for the Coasters after eight minutes but his effort from 25 yards flew over.

An error at the back from Dom Collins presented Lamine Colley with a chance to give the visitors the lead but his shot from 15 yards was high and wide.

Stockport did take the lead from the penalty spot four minutes before half-time, when Jake Kirby was caught by Tom Hannigan. The referee booked the Fylde defender and pointed to the spot.

Abdulai Baggie sent Ben Hinchliffe the wrong way, tucking the ball into the bottom left corner, though the scorer was forced off with an injury two minutes later.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The Coasters came out in the second half much improved and within two minutes had levelled the scores.

Rowe appeared to be dragged down in the box, but it mattered little as Richie Baker fired the loose ball past former Fleetwood keeper Danny Hurst for his second goal of the holiday weekend.

Stockport responded well as Karl Ledsham and Kayode Odejayi both saw headers go narrowly wide.

Blinkhorn looked dangerous after being brought on for the final 20 minutes but it was Stockport who regained the lead on 73 minutes, Calum Dyson reacting quickest to Glenn Rule’s free-kick to flick the ball past keeper Hinchliffe.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Fylde’s Danny Lloyd was forced off after a collision with Micah Evans, and Baker went close to his second with a 25-yard free-kick.

Just four minutes remained when the Coasters drew level. Blinkhorn went down under a challenge from O’Hanlon just outside the penalty area, and Rowe fired the sweetest of free-kicks into the top right corner for his first goal of the season.

Caspar Hughes fired over with an audacious shot from 40 yards but it was the visitors who grabbed the late, late winner, when a ball into the box was seized upon by Kirby and his low shot beat Hinchliffe.

This first defeat since the opening day sees Fylde drop two places in Vanarama National North, replaced by Stockport in fourth spot.

The Coasters head to Gloucester City on Saturday.