After we reported that it will now remain closed for the whole of summer, we take a look back through our archives at the history of this beautiful bridge
Lancashire County Council has confirmed that it will remain closed for the entirety of summer and well into autumn
The county council has extended the closure notice until September
Sign up to our daily newsletter
The i newsletter cut through the noise
And a spokesman for Lancashire County Council has warned that this could be extended if necessary.
They said: We have now received the final inspection report which is being considered by a working group of officers in order to be able to make recommendations to the councils cabinet in the near future.
We have renewed the closure notice for the Tram Bridge until September, however may then need to extend the closure for a further period as the bridge can only be reopened when it is safe to use.
A footpath along the south bank of the river linking to Winery Lane behind the Capitol Centre has also been closed where it passes under the bridge.
The county council has put a diversion in place directing people to use the nearby Avenham Viaduct Bridge instead.
A tinted postcard of the bridge
The decking was removed during the war years to thwart any possible German tank crossing
The tramway remained in use until 1859, and was not entirely dismantled until 1868
The whole of this bridge has now been modernised, although the original trestle structure has been preserved.
Today, it has an asphalt surface instead of the original wooden planks
After crossing the bridge, a three - quarter mile long tree lined avenue with a stony rough surface on a level causeway across Walton Flats to the slope between Vernons Mill and Carr House.
This length of tramway runs parallel with the East Lancashire Railway line of 1850, which crosses the flat low - lying ground on what appears to be an embankment.
An aerial view of the bridge
Murals of Preston discovered during renovation work at the London Road Labour Club as its transformed into the Royal Banquet Hall
This old postcard, possibly dating from the early 1900s, shows a group of four men posing for a photo at the Old Tram Bridge
The bridge, originally opened in 1802, is seen receiving new decking in 1966
Close inspection reveals the endless chain that can be seen to the left to the drum housing. This chain was wound round an upper drum located to the left of the engine house at the top of the incline.