Family narrowly escapes injury in car terror

A Preston family with two young children escaped serious injury after a rock was thrown through their car window whilst travelling at 50mph.

Wednesday, 18th July 2018, 12:38 pm
Updated Wednesday, 18th July 2018, 1:42 pm
Clare Hughes suffered a cut to her face during the incident

Claire Hughes, from Preston, was with her partner, Ben Dumm, when the stone smashed through the passenger front door window of their Peugeot 406 on Riversway close to Riversway Motor Park in Preston.

Read More

Read More
Rock hurled at moving car in Preston injures mum

They were returning from a day out at the pirate treasure trail at Ribby Hall when their vehicle was hit.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Damage left in the car after stone hit the passenger side window

Claire, 32, initially couldn’t understand what was happening, saying “it went so quickly”.

She said: “We were travelling along fine when there was this almighty bang from nowhere and glass shattered everywhere in the car.

“There was glass all over the seats and carpets.

“It happened so quickly and we didn’t realise that someone had thrown a rock until we had pulled over.

The rock which hit Clare Hughes' car

Claire had posted images of the incident on her Facebook page and it has been shared more than 700 times.

She said she has been receiving messages of support from people but said that some people told her that similar incidents have happened before in that area.

She said: “I had someone contact me who said they were nearly in a crash on the same road because someone had thrown a dead cat into the road.

“I have heard as well that kids come down from the Larches estate which is nearby and there is a lot of smoking and drinking that goes on.”

Damage to the passenger side window

“There is also an underground passage onto the car dealerships that I didn’t know was there.

“We contacted the police but I was quite surprised when they advised us to drive home if safe to do so.”

A police spokesman said that no one has been arrested and they are investigating the July 15 incident.