Would-be bride and groom's wedding plans wrecked after being left 'without a penny' in 'Park Hall nightmare'

Another couple’s wedding plans have been wrecked by the sudden closure of Park Hall Hotel in Charnock Richard this week.

By Charles Graham
Wednesday, 9th February 2022, 1:26 pm
Updated Wednesday, 9th February 2022, 2:08 pm

And unless Kirsty Catterall and Andrew Porter can get a full £5,600 refund from the hotel's owners, they say they won’t be able to afford to rearrange the big day for what would be a third time.

The Wigan pair got engaged way back in 2018 with the plan to tie the knot two years later.

Covid intervened and the intention was then to wed in March 2021. However the pandemic put paid to that date too and Park Hall said it would only then be able to accommodate them in August 2022.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Kirsty Catterall and Andrew Porter on their engagement day. The warehouse workers have seen their wedding dream shattered after the sudden closure of Park Hall Hotel on Monday (February 8)

But now the warehouse workers have seen that dream shattered too after it was suddenly announced that the Chorley venue had closed, with the owner's planning to turn the hotel into temporary housing for asylum seekers.

Read More

Read More
Park Hall Hotel shuts down with staff told to reapply for their jobs and wedding...

It piles misery on misery for the would-be bride and groom who had put all their savings into the occasion.

Earlier this week Standish couple Adam Weate and Danielle Sugden revealed their wedding plans had been ruined by the Park Hall debacle, but they have been offered the chance of moving it to Holland Hall Hotel in Up Holland. You can read Adam and Danielle's full story here.

Park Hall Hotel in Charnock Richard suddenly closed its doors without notice on Monday (February 7), leaving couple's despairing over their wedding plans

But at present, there are no such chances for Andrew and Kirsty.

Andrew said: “So many things have gone wrong since we got engaged that this Park Hall nightmare, while very upsetting, didn’t come as a surprise.

“It was only last week that we were trying to find a new wedding car company because the one we had booked had gone under.

“And we have recently lost a parent and a step-parent. To be honest we just can’t get exciting about the wedding at the moment, especially after what has just happened.”

A sign on the door tells visitors the hotel has now closed until further notice

Kirsty and 37-year-old Andrew have been contacted by several hospitality venues offering them their facilities, some even on the date in August on which they had planned to marry.

But Kirsty said: “Until and unless we get the money back, we can’t afford any alternatives.

“We put down a £600 deposit at the start and later on I paid another £5,000 which was more than the original contract because we wanted some extras.

“After the first time the wedding had to be cancelled, we rather objected to the venue dictating to us when the ceremony would be moved to and then later they tried to increase the bill, but I dug my heels in and said that we had agreed a price in our contract so they accepted that.

“Now however, we’ve not got a penny.

“I first found out about Park Hall being in trouble on Monday night when family and friends started messaging and phoning me.

“We later received an email giving us another email address we could contact for a refund but we’ve both written to that address five times now but have received no reply.

“It’s very nice of other venues to offer their services, but unless we get that cash back, then nothing can happen.”

The wedding was going to have 50 guests at the afternoon events and 100 at the evening reception. Several guests had already booked hotel rooms at Park Hall but they hadn’t paid anything up front so at least they are not out of pocket.

Thanks for reading. If you value what we do and are able to support us, a digital subscription is just £1 per month for the first two months. Try us today by clicking HERE.