Work begins on the chimney of Preston's historic Tulketh Mill
A pair of giant cranes could be seen towering over the Ashton-on-Ribble skyline as work began on the chimney of Tulketh Mill.
The Grade II listed mill is now used as office space and a call centre, but the towering chimney remains, one of Preston's most distinctive landmarks.
Contractors arrived this morning, and the car park which serves the mill and the adjoining parade of shops was closed to allow access to the giant crane.
The former cotton mill was designed by Fred Dixon of Oldham and built for the Tulketh Spinning Company in 1905. It replaced an earlier mill on the same site in Balcarres Road which burned down in 1883.