Memory match: Preston North End's five-star show at Wycombe Wanderers in the FA Cup in 2018

If Preston North End need any inspiration for the visit to Wycombe Wanderers on Saturday they only have to look back three years.

Thursday, 7th January 2021, 3:00 pm

.They were paired with the Chairboys at the same stage of the competition in January 2018 and came away from Adams Park with a 5-1 win.

Nine of the current PNE first-team squad were on duty that day, Alan Browne and Josh Harrop both finding the net twice.

Daryl Horgan got the other goal and is likely to be facing them this time, having joined Wycombe from Hibernian last summer.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

PNE midfielder Alan Browne steps up to the penalty spot against Wycombe

It was Horgan’s display in 2018 which stuck in Gareth Ainsworth’s mind and saw him move to secure the winger’s services.

Wycombe were a League Two outfit back then, this time the sides will face one another as Championship rivals.

North End were in control of the 2018 meeting pretty much from the word go.

They led inside 90 seconds with a stunning free-kick from Harrop.

Josh Harrop celebrates scoring Preston North End's fifth goal against Wycombe Wanderers in January 2018

It was Harrop who finished off the scoring five minutes from time, with Browne’s double and Horgan’s effort coming in between.

There was a minute and 27 seconds on the clock when PNE went in front, never to look back.

Horgan’s run towards the box was halted by a foul 20 yards out, referee Peter Bankes awarding a free-kick.

Billy Bodin and Harrop stood over it, with Bodin looking like he was shaping to shoot left-footed. But it was Harrop who struck it, curling a right-foot shot over the wall and into the top corner.

Daryl Horgan in action for PNE in the 5-1 win over Wycombe

North End scored their second goal in the 38th minute and what a fine finish it was too from Browne.

Horgan created the initial danger with a run down the left and a low cross into the middle which Wycombe left-back Joe Jacobson did well to clear out of the six-yard box as Callum Robinson closed in.

The ball fell to Browne more than 20 yards out who let it bounce before lashing a first-time left-foot shot into the top corner.

Just before the interval, Wycombe struck out of the blue to halve the deficit.

PNE skipper Tom Clarke gets above Wycombe striker Adebayo Akinfenwa

Liam O’Nien’s shot from an angle deflected off Horgan and looped over Declan Rudd.

It was a similar goal from Horgan five minutes after half-time which restored PNE’s two-goal cushion.

The Irishman went past right-back Will De Havilland in the box and hit a low shot which clipped off Dan Scarr and beat keeper Scott Brown.

North End were presented with a great chance in the 71st minute as Scarr’s pass across his own box was intercepted by Horgan but one-on-one with the keeper, Brown came out on top and blocked his shot.

They made it 4-1 with 12 minutes remaining, the goal coming from the penalty spot.

Bodin swung over a corner from the right and as Paul Huntington went to meet it, Scarr pulled his shirt – Mr Bankes pointing to the spot.

Browne stepped up and struck the spot-kick confidently into the net.

They weren’t satisfied with four goals, going on to score a fifth in the 85th minute on the counter-attack.

Cunningham chased a ball out of midfield down the left channel and put over a beautiful cross on the run which Harrop almost let hit his head and guide into the net at the near post.

Thanks for reading. If you value what we do and are able to support us, a digital subscription is just £1 per month for the first two months. Try us today by clicking here