Preston North End 2 Charlton Athletic 2 (aet) PNE win 3-1 on penalties - shoot-out joy for youngsters in the FA Youth Cup

Preston North End Under-18s moved into the fourth round of the FA Youth Cup with a penalty shoot-out victory over Charlton Athletic at Deepdale.

Tuesday, 4th December 2018, 8:55 pm
Updated Tuesday, 4th December 2018, 11:50 pm
Jack Baxter gives PNE's Under-18s the lead against Charlton from the penalty spot, picture Dave Kendall, courtesy of PNE

The game had finished in a 2-2 draw after extra-time and it was certainly a good night from the spot for the North End youngsters.

Both of their goals were penalties, Jack Baxter and Ethan Walker scoring from 12 yards, Charlton twice equalising through Kareem Isiaka - his a penalty too- and Euan Williams.

In the shoot-out, Jack Armer, Adam O'Reilly and Walker netted their spot-kicks, with Baxter putting his wide.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Preston midfielder Tyrhys Dolan takes on the Charlton defence

North End goalkeeper Jimmy Corcoran saved twice from Luca Albon and Williams, Richard Afrane-Kesey hitting the bar to send PNE through.

Earlier in the evening Corcoran made a good save in the opening exchanges, tipping Charlie Barker's far post header over the bar.

The hosts took a fourth minute lead, referee Dale Baines pointing to the penalty spot after Walker was brought down by Addicks right-back Freddy Barton.

Baxter, who had been on the bench for PNE's first-team last weekend, stepped-up to tuck the penalty into the bottom corner - beating the dive of keeper Joseph Osaghae who had gone the right way.

The lively Tyrhys Dolan hit the post with a close-range shot after Louis Potts' back heel had played him in.

Corcoran spread himself well to block at the feet of Isiaka after he had got behind the PNE defence, the rebound falling to Richard Chin who lifted his shot over the bar.

The visitors pulled level five minutes before half-time when Lewis Earl's challenge on Isiaka saw Mr Baines point to the spot again.

Isiaka dusted himself down to step-up and beat Corcoran from the spot.

A third penalty of the first half was awarded in the 43rd minute, Walker again pulled down by Barton on the left side of the box.

Baxter went for the same spot as his earlier effort, Osaghae getting a strong hand to the ball and pushing it away.

Eight minutes into the second half, Mr Baines had to point to the spot a fourth time - North End the beneficiaries for a third time.

Potts' superb flick released Jerome Jolly in the box, the winger taken to the ground by Barker's foul.

This time it was Walker on penalty duty, lifting his spot-kick into the roof of the net.

With 68 minutes gone, Corcoran saved well at his near post to deny James Gody from a narrow angle.

Charlton equalised for a second time with a quarter of an hour left, Barton's cross from the right dropping over intended target Isiaka and falling to Williams who hammered home a low finish from close range.

In the fifth minute of stoppage-time it needed a clearance off the line by PNE right-back Lewis Simmonds to send the game into extra-time.

The additional 30 minutes failed to produce a goal, both sides tiring with quite a few players going down with cramp at various stages.

So it went to penalties with North End doing the business to progress into the fourth round after Christmas.

PNE: Corcoran, Simmons (Pollard 93), Earl (Williams 79), Armer, McFayden, Baxter, O'Reilly, Jolly, Dolan (McManus 116), Walker, Potts (Brannigan 63). Sub (not used): Cottam.

Charlton: Osaghae, Barton, Barker, Kirunda (Keefe 87), Agyemang (Godding 54), Vennings, Chin (Afrane-Kesey 70), Gody (Albon 103), Williams, Isiaka. Sub (not used): Harvery.

Referee: Dale Baines (Merseyside)

Attendance: 530