Morecambe manager criticises referee following Cambridge United defeat

Derek Adams was less than impressed with referee David Rock after watching his Morecambe side beaten at Cambridge United on Good Friday.

Monday, 5th April 2021, 8:00 am
Updated Monday, 5th April 2021, 11:28 am

The Shrimps went down 2-1 against the League Two leaders in a match where two penalties were awarded – one per side – and Morecambe defender Liam Gibson was sent off.

While disappointed with the result, Adams was equally annoyed with what he felt was some inconsistent decision-making from the official.

He said: “We should have had a second penalty. Carlos (Mendes) Gomes was fouled in the area, exactly the same way as their player was fouled for their penalty. That was disappointing.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Liam Gibson was sent off during Morecambe's defeat at Cambridge United on Friday

Read More

Read More
Morecambe boss: League Two's outcome is too tough to call

“I think the referee did lose control of the game from the point of view that their goalkeeper kicks the ball out of the pitch when the game’s ready to restart.

“Their players were kicking the ball out of the pitch and never booked. In the first half, (Wes) Hoolahan pulls back one of our players on the attack – doesn’t get booked.

“In the second half, he books one of our players when exactly the same happened. I thought he had a difficult afternoon.”

Former Morecambe striker Paul Mullin proved the matchwinner with goals in each half, as well as playing a key role in Gibson’s red card.

Freddie Price pulled a goal back for Morecambe, who had seen Cole Stockton miss a spot-kick which would have brought them level at 1-1.

“I don’t think there was much in the game,” Adams said.

“I think Cambridge started the game better, they were going down the slope and we were against the wind.

“They got a helping hand for the first one, there was a foul on our player when we were attacking.

“Both sides didn’t create a lot in the first half. We were probably happy going in at 1-0.

“The second half started and we created a number of good openings.

“I think the red card is questionable, that’s changed the flow of the game.

“We’re down to 10 players, Cambridge are 1-0 up and you’d think it’d help them but we showed a bit of resilience and got going.

“We played some good football and got a penalty but Cole Stockton missed it.”

Thanks for reading. If you value what we do and are able to support us, a digital subscription is just £1 per month for the first two months. Try us today by clicking here