Morecambe 1-0 Dagenham

Morecambe picked up their first win in six League 2 games with a battling display against Dagenham on Tuesday night.

Tuesday, 1st December 2015, 10:12 pm
Morecambe v Dagenham - Shrimps Live

Paul Mullin saw his first-half penalty saved but fired in the rebound as Jim Bentley’s side got a measure of revenge against a side who had dumped them out of the FA Cup two weeks earlier.

Having lost their last three home games it was a nervy start from Morecambe’s reshuffled defensive line.

Dagenham probed but created little however, Ashley Hemmings flashing a cross across the face of goal on 12 minutes.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The hosts had the game’s best early chance but after breaking half the length of the field 60 seconds later Tom Barkhuizen could only drag his shot wide.

With Bentley’s men looked to get back to winning ways their cause suffered a big setback on 20 minutes with goalkeeper Barry Roche limping off to be replaced by debutant Tony Thompson.

The action was at the other end however as Morecambe went in search of an opener, Aaron Wildig’s drive from 20 yards being cleared off the line after he met Mullin’s corner sweetly.

The hosts didn’t have to wait much longer for a goal however as they capped their best spell of the game with the opening goal on the half hour.

Shaun Beeley beat his man with a fine turn down the left and was hauled down in the box. Mullin saw his initial spot kick saved by Liam O’Brien but fired home the rebound.

Dagenham were still well in the game though, Josh Labadie the first to worry Thompson with a low shot from distance that crept wide five minutes before the break.

It was the visitors who came out of the traps the quicker after the interval with Jack Connors’ cross clipping the bar with Thompson beaten.

At the other end Kevin Ellison used all his experience to buy a free-kick 20 yards out before seeing a well-struck effort deflected over by a Dagenham head.

The Shrimps’ next chance came from another set piece just before the hour mark, Liam O’Brien helping over Mullin’s effort as the hosts built pressure.

Anton Forrester, on his first Morecambe start, was the next to go close but O’Brien was equal to his low effort.

It was turning into a scrappy, nervy contest, but The Shrimps continued to have the better of the chances, Ellison’s hooked effort 15 minutes from time being well held by O’Brien.

Dagenham pushed for a leveller in the closing stages but the closest they came was Jamie Cureton’s tame overhead kick that was easily held by Thompson as a relieved Globe Arena celebrated a welcome win.

Morecambe: Roche (Thompson 20), Edwards, Parrish, Dugdale, Beeley, Wildig, Murphy (capt), Barkhuizen, Ellison, Mullin (Wilson 90), Forrester (Miller 83). Subs not used: Kenyon, Devitt, Molyneux, Doyle.

Dagenham: O’Brien, Passley, Dikamona, Obileye, Connors, Chambers (Vassell 46), Labadie (Mulraney 68), Boucaud (capt), Dunne, Hemmings (Jones 68), Cureton. Subs not used: Cousins, Raymond, Pask, Hoyte.

Booked: LabadieReferee: Stephen Martin

Attendance: 1,027 (23 away)

Shrimps Live is the home of our Morecambe FC coverage this season with live match updates and breaking news throughout the week.

Join the debate on Twitter using #shrimpslive