Match report: Morecambe 2 Exeter City 2

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
Morecambe were denied a second successive league victory by a late strike from Exeter skipper Jake Taylor.

The Grecians’ midfielder struck with 18 minutes of the game remaining to deny Derek Adams’ side an excellent win against one of the in-form sides in League Two.

Adams made one change to the starting line-up from the side that beat Tranmere at the weekend with Ben Pringle coming in for the ill Aaron Wildig in midfield, as he looked to get back to winning ways at home.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Both teams traded chances in the opening stages of the game with Morecambe keeper Jake Turner saving well from Pierce Sweeney’s early header and Randall Williams heading over at the near post.

Morecambe boss Derek Adams (Getty Images)Morecambe boss Derek Adams (Getty Images)
Morecambe boss Derek Adams (Getty Images)

Morecambe were denied twice in quick succession by visiting keeper Jokull Andresson. The on loan Brentford stopper first spread himself well to leave neatly from Adam Phillips who was found in space on the left-hand side of the area.

Andresson then went one better with a stunning close-range save to somehow turn away Kelvin Mellor’s header.

The Shrimps were on top but then suddenly found themselves a goal down after an error of judgement from skipper Sam Lavelle.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The defender allowed a long clearance past him thinking it would reach his keeper Turner, only for Joel Randall to nip in to take the ball around Turner and score into the empty net.

The lead lasted just nine minutes however as the Shrimps hit back with two excellent goals.

The first came from Carlos Mendes-Gomes in the 42nd minute when he was played in superbly by Jordan Slew, before keeping his cool to round Andresson and score from a tight angle. There was better to come from Morecambe three minutes later when they went ahead in first-half injury time.

Some neat football on the edge of the Exeter box ended with a ball for Stephen Hendrie who beat Andresson with a superb low shot that flew into the bottom left-hand corner of the Exeter goal.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

After an excellent first half it was Exeter who had the better of the second.

They had a big claim for a penalty waved away in the 53rd minute when Jack Sparkes went down in the box after what looked like a clumsy challenge before Tom Parkes slashed a good chance over the bar from 10 yards.

Exeter dominated possession without creating too many clear-cut chances.

But they levelled the scores with 18 minutes to go when skipper Taylor produced a fine from 20 yards from Nicky Law’s square pass.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Both sides pushed for the win at the end with Mendes-Gomes shooting well wide after creating a good opening for himself and Taylor looking for an Exeter third but being denied by a brave stop from Turner.

Morecambe: Turner, Mellor, Lavelle, Knight-Percival, Hendrie, Kenyon (Diagouraga 76), Songo’o, Pringle (O’Sullivan 68), Phillips Mendes-Gomes, Slew (McAlinden 85). Subs (not used): Halstead, Cooney, Stockton, Davis.

Exeter: Andresson, Key, Sweeney, Parkes, Sparkes, Williams (Caprice 89), Jay (Law 55), Taylor (Seymour 89), Randall, Key, Bowman. Subs (not used): Lee, McArdle, Kite, Hartridge.

Referee: O Yates.

Related topics: