Late equaliser denies Brig first win of season

Bamber Bridge suffered late heartbreak after conceding a stoppage time equaliser in a 2-2 draw against Liversedge at the Sir Tom Finney Stadium.
Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

The result means Jamie Milligan’s side have suffered two straight 2-2 draws in the league, with the previous result occurring in Tuesday’s home fixture against Marske United.

It was the hosts that started brightly, Isaac Sinclair’s effort saved by the goalkeeper on 11 minutes. Fin Sinclair-Smith, meanwhile, later saw two shots blocked inside the area as Brig continued to push forward.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

They got their reward on 34 minutes, after Noah Alabi was brought down inside the area. Alabi stepped up to take the resulting spot kick himself, coolly slotting the ball into the bottom left corner for his second goal in a week.

Bamber Bridge boss Jamie Milligan (photo:Ruth Hornby)Bamber Bridge boss Jamie Milligan (photo:Ruth Hornby)
Bamber Bridge boss Jamie Milligan (photo:Ruth Hornby)

The visitors had an opening before half-time, forward Joseph Walton’s attempted lob from 30 yards on a counter attack going over the bar.

Brig came out firing after the break. Alabi was again involved in the action, this time breaking the offside trap before seeing his effort well saved. From the rebound, Sinclair’s shot was cleared off the line by a Liversedge defender.

Aaron Skinner then had two chances in quick succession, but was unable to convert. However, Brig did manage to extend their lead on 55 minutes.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Rhys Turner ran clear, again breaking through the offside trap, before calmly chipping the ball over the goalkeeper from 20 yards. On 67 minutes, Nathan Pond had the opportunity to extend Brig’s advantage further, but his volleyed effort from a free kick went just over the bar.

Three minutes later, Liversedge pulled a goal back in slightly fortuitous circumstances, with the ball ricocheting off James Walshaw before landing in the back of the net.

Brig, however, continued to put pressure on the visiting backline, and almost restored their two-goal advantage when Turner’s fierce effort from just outside the area crashed on to the post.

But it was Liversedge who dealt the final blow, Joseph Walton in the right post at the back post to score a 96th-minute equaliser with a diving header.

Elsewhere, Lancaster lost 1-0 at Stalybridge Celtic while in the FA Cup, Clitheroe defeated Colne 2-0 while Charnock Richard thrashed Silsden 5-1 but Kendal lost 5-2 at Bishop Auckland.

Related topics: