Fleetwood order McLaughlin to take a break
Conor McLaughlin has been given extra time off by Fleetwood Town manager Steven Pressley after his Euro 16 adventure.
The right-back’s only game in France was in Northern Ireland’s opening Group C defeat to Poland, though Michael O’Neill’s underdogs fought back to qualify for the knockout stages. The Green and White Army were knocked out by shock semi-finalists Wales in the last 16.
McLaughlin, the first player ever to have represented Town at a major international tournament, said he was hoping to use the Euros as a “shop window”, though it is understood the club has not received any offers for the full-back.
The players returned for pre-season training last Wednesday, though boss Pressley has told the Belfast-born 24-year-old not to report back until July 17 following his month in France.
Preston North End respond to transfer speculation as 20-goal striker is linked to Middlesbrough
Former Blackburn, Burnley and Preston North End footballer Lenny Johnrose dies at 52 following battle with Motor Neurone Disease
Preston North End's predicted line-up for Championship visit of Rotherham United
Preston North End's win over Luton Town swiftly put aside ahead of Rotherham United test
Match Report: Preston North End 0-0 Rotherham United - PNE frustrated at Deepdale as they fail to take chances
Pressley told The Gazette: “Conor will not be joining the group until we travel to Holland on July 17.
“After the season we have had and with the Euros, it is important that he manages to switch off mentally and physically.
“It’s most important on the mental side that he takes a break ahead of the new season.”
Fitness coach Youl Mawene has given McLaughlin some activities to keep him in good condition before he returns for the six-day Dutch tour.
Pressley said: “Youl spoke to him last week to discuss keeping him ticking over during his time off.
“But knowing Conor he will keep himself in good shape anyway.”