Crowe says club have a Brig pitch problem

Bamber Bridge boss Neil Crowe says the club are '˜in limbo' due to the state of the pitch at the Sir Tom Finney Stadium.
Bamber Bridge boss Neil Crowe at the Sir Tom Finney stadiumBamber Bridge boss Neil Crowe at the Sir Tom Finney stadium
Bamber Bridge boss Neil Crowe at the Sir Tom Finney stadium

Despite an army of volunteers giving up their time to try and get the pitch fit for action on Saturday the game against NPL First Division North bottom club New Mills had to be called off.

The Brig boss believes the club need professional help to fix the issue which is understood to have been caused by a damaged drain and exacerbated by the horrendous winter weather conditions that battered the North West.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Now Crowe says Brig’s game against Harrogate Railway Athletic may also be called off as the club face a mounting fixture pile-up and a host of home fixtures.

He said: “I think we have got a major problem with some of the drainage of the pitch. I think 80 per cent of the pitch is playable but the other 20 per cent is just not draining. We just don’t know what is going to happen at this stage.

“I personally think it needs professional work on it. It is not just surface water there is water below the surface. It is like sludge and it is not safe. We are set to be playing Saturday and Tuesday for the foreseeable future and it needs fixing.”

Brig’s home woes will not impact on Saturday’s game as they travel to Brighouse Town. Former PNE player Paul McKenna left Brig towards the end of 2015 after announcing his intentions to retire.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

But the midfielder made a shock u-turn by teaming up with his old PNE team mate Lee Ashcroft manager of West Lancs League Premier Division club Longridge Town last weekend.

Crowe said: “I think Paul has been missing the atmosphere of a dressing room.

“No hard feelings, he’s going to be coaching and I wish him well.”