Woman hospitalised with burns after house fire in Lostock Hall

A woman has been treated in hospital for burns after a house fire in Lostock Hall yesterday (Sunday, November 22).

Monday, 23rd November 2020, 8:35 am
Updated Monday, 23rd November 2020, 8:38 am

Fire crews from Bamber Bridge and Penwortham rushed to the woman's rescue at a home in Laburnam Avenue at 12pm.

The fire had been caused by a candle flame, said the fire service, which had spread to a pair of nearby curtains.

The panicked woman had tried to grab the candle with her bare hands to throw it outside, burning herself in the process.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Laburnum Avenue, Lostock Hall. Pic: Google

Firefighters tackled the flames and gave the woman first aid before the ambulance service arrived at the scene.

The woman was then taken to Royal Preston Hospital for further treatment.

A fire service spokesman said: "Fire crews from Bamber Bridge and Penwortham tackled a house fire in Laburnam Avenue, Lostock Hall.

"The fire involved a candle which had spread to nearby curtains.

"The occupier had attempted to take the candle outside the property and needed medical treatment for some burns as a result.

"Crews used a ventilation unit to clear smoke from the property and a first aid kit.

"The casualty was then transferred to hospital via ambulance. Firefighters were in attendance around forty minutes."

Candle safety tips

There was a 26% increase in candle fires last year, according to Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service.

Here are some quick tips to help stay safe when lighting candles in your home.

- Secure candles in a proper holder

- Keep them well away from any materials that may catch fire, like curtains, cards, papers etc.

- Take extra care when you are wearing loose clothing around candles

- Don’t put candles on the side of the bath or on the television