Fire starts in chiller cabinet of Poulton sandwich shop

The occupants of a flat above a Poulton sandwich shop had a lucky escape after a fire started in a chiller cabinet, say fire services.

Thursday, 11th May 2017, 12:34 pm
Updated Thursday, 11th May 2017, 4:58 pm
Crews were called to the sandwich shop in Poulton
Crews were called to the sandwich shop in Poulton

Two people living in the flat above the Lunchbox sandwich shop became aware of the fire after they saw smoke and called the fire services.

Crews raced to the shop on Ball Street, at around 12.30am on May 11 following reports of the blaze.

A spokesman for the fire service said: "We attended a fire at a sandwich shop that we believe started accidentally in the chiller cabinet.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

"Crews wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the blaze using hose reel jets and ventilation units.

"Unfortunately in this case there were no working smoke alarms in the property. We would urge people to ensure they have working smoke alarms in their homes as these can save lives."

Nobody was injured during the incident.