VIDEO: 40 firefighters battle major fire at house in Newton
More than 40 fire fighters battled a major blaze at a home in Newton overnight, say fire services.
Crews were called to Bryning Lane at around 6.30pm on Tuesday, May 8 after a pan caught light causing a fire which spread throughout the kitchen and ground floor.
Firefighters say they arrived to find the ground floor engulfed in fire with flames leaping from the windows and smoke pouring down the road.
The occupant of the house, a 60 year-old man, suffered minor burns and smoke inhalation and was taken to hospital for treatment.
Houses around the property were evacuated and fire crews say they discovered an additional complication of LPG gas cylinders.
Watch Manager Mark Woodward said: "Initially two fire engines from Penwortham and Wesham attended and worked tremendously hard to stop the fire spreading and set about cooling gas cylinders.
"They requested additional fire engines as this was a very well developed fire which was at risk of spreading to neighbouring properties.
"Water was immediately put on the fire and the cylinders were cooled. There was a lot of fuel at the property.
"The early crews managed to stop the fire from spreading into the first floor and roof and their efforts also stopped an explosion from the LPG cylinders.
"A total of six fire engines and Aerial Ladder Platform and a command unit were in attendance with resources being used from all over the county.
"We also used the drone to gain intelligence about the spread of the fire.
"Please ensure that you do not leave cooking unattended and ensure that your cooker is turned off once you have finished preparing your food.
"This fire has had devastating consequences for the man whose home was severely damaged and is now uninhabitable."
Crews spent around six hours at the scene and left the incident at around 1am.