Tumble drier warning after house blaze

Firefighters have warned about the danger of fluff in tumble driers after two people needed treatment following a house blaze.

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 8th March 2016, 8:35 am
Updated Tuesday, 8th March 2016, 9:36 am

Occupants of the property in Mitton Drive, Preston had to be given oxygen after the emergency call-out around 6.20pm on Monday.

The fire is believed to have started in a tumble drier in the dining room of the house.

Crew manager Rob Barker said: “It is so important that people keep their driers clear of fluff and clean the filters after each time they use them.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

“It is also important that all households have working smoke alarms to alert occupants to any fire.

“In this case the alarm upstairs was working and did its job. But it seems the one downstairs had had its battery removed.

“Fortunately one of the occupants noticed the smoke and raised the alarm. Two of them were given oxygen because of smoke inhalation and they were checked over by paramedics.”

It is believed three people were in the property and had managed to escape by the time the brigade arrived.

Firefighters in breathing apparatus used a hose reel to put out the fire in the tumble drier. They also used a portable fan to disperse the smoke.