'They should have listened to locals', say campaigners after flooding at new Preston estate

Housebuilders should pay more attention to locals who warn of the risk of flooding posed by new developments.

Monday, 16th November 2020, 1:25 pm

That is the message from campaigners objecting to controversial plans for hundreds of new homes to the north Preston - who say they have been proved right after part of a new estate in Goosnargh was flooded late last month, before it has even been fully built.

Read More

Read More
Controversial Preston village developments get a fresh hearing - and one is giv...

Michelle Woodburn, who leads the group Goosnargh and Whittingham Against Over-development, says she was not surprised to learn of the incident on the Caraway Green development at Holme Fell off Goosnargh Lane, which was approved back in 2017.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Flooding at Holme Fell in late October 2020, pictured from Bradcroft track

“The residents all know that it has always been a bad field [for flooding] - and they wouldn’t take any notice of us.

“The developers have tried to block off the brook with barriers and they have also put an attenuation tank in, but it’s not working because there is too much water,” said Michelle, who is also a Whittingham parish councillor.

She is calling on other housebuilders and Preston City Council planners to pay heed to residents’ local knowledge about flooding when making upcoming decisions on resubmitted - and previously refused - proposals for a total of 285 new properties in the area.

It is understood that the original applications for a site at Bushells Farm, off nearby Mill Lane, and land to the north Whittingham Lane, are also both subject to an appeal.

Flooding at Mill Lane, Goosnargh, on 29th October, 2020 (image: Michelle Woodburn)

“ We have never seen [flooding] as bad before at Mill Lane as we did recently - and that was only after a couple of days of rain.

“The experts say we are going to get more rain as the years go on - so putting concrete down is going to cause more problems.

“There is nowhere for the water to go - it happens every time it rains,” Michelle said.

The Post approached Seddon Homes - the developer of the 91-dwelling Caraway Green estate - about claims that one of their bungalows, which is now listed as “on hold” on their website, had to be bailed out following flooding on 29th October.

In a statement, the firm’s construction director, Jeff Hook, said: “We have been on-site at Caraway Green since August 2019 carrying out the initial pre-construction works before making a start on building these new homes for local residents.

“The scheme is currently progressing well through the infrastructure works and the early phases of the build programme.

“As part of the ongoing infrastructure works, we will satisfy all requirements from relevant authorities in line with planning. This includes mitigating flood risk. a standard for any new-build development,” Mr. Hook said.

It is thanks to our loyal readers that we can continue to provide the trusted news, analysis and insight that matters to you. For unlimited access to our unrivalled local reporting, you can take out a subscription here and help support the work of our dedicated team of reporters.