Preston residents' flooding fears addressed over plans for 210 new homes

A developer has been praised for responding to residents’ concerns about the layout of a new estate in suburban Preston – and the potential for it to pose a flooding threat to their homes.

Sunday, 3rd October 2021, 7:38 pm
Updated Sunday, 3rd October 2021, 9:10 pm

Outline permission for the 210-dwelling development between Hoyles Lane and Cottam Way in Lea had already been granted as part of a masterplan for the wider Cottam Hall strategic site, which will see 1,100 homes built across a 53-hectare plot.

A meeting of Preston City Council’s planning committee to consider the detail of the individual estate heard that householders living nearby had been dissatisfied with the initial plans – but that the response of developer David Wilson Homes had addressed many of the issues raised.

Read More

Read More
Proposed Preston park protected after housebuilding plan is redesigned

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Land between Hoyles Lane and Cottam Way will accommodate 211 new homes (image: Google)

Ingol and Cottam ward councillor Trevor Hart said that residents on Hoyle Lane had experienced “significant” problems in relation to flooding and drainage in the area.

“[They] have had continuous issues with development that has changed their lives – so when the next development comes along, you can totally understand their concerns,” Cllr Hart explained.

He said that measures to mitigate flood risk had now been “built into the plan”, but that it was important that they were closely monitored to ensure they worked.

Cllr Hart added that the addition of a 10-metre “buffer zone” between the new development and properties on Hoyles Lane made the new estate “more sympathetic to what [it is] backing onto – and had appeared to result in “a much more positive response from residents, who feel they have been listened to”.

He said that the housebuilder had made contact with city and parish councillors “right at the outset”.

Andrew Taylor, planning director for David Wilson Homes, told members that existing drainage channels would be respected and that the new estate would incorporate “all necessary measures to prevent any surface water run-off from our development to the existing properties on Hoyles Lane”.

Committee member Javed Iqbal said that the developer’s attempts to overcome the issues raised by residents were “ a credit” to the firm.

As a result of the layout changes – in response to calls for a lower density of development close to existing homes – an additional property will be built elsewhere on the site, making 211 in total.