Matthew and Erica Hesketh, from the village of Newton, held their two young daughters tight in their arms as they watched their home of 10 years go up in flames.
Just minutes earlier, before sunrise, they had been awakened by sounds of banging in the attic and water streaming through the kitchen ceiling.
At first they thought they were dealing with a leak in the loft, before a 'crackling' sound and a burning smell from the attic alerted them to the danger they were in.
Ten minutes later and safely outside, the horrified family-of-four watched in disbelief as the roof of their home became engulfed by fire.
You can read their full story here.
Why not consider taking out a digital subscription to support our journalism?