Pregnant woman from Preston contacted by Test and Trace EIGHT days after testing positive

A pregnant woman from Preston who caught Covid-19 was only contacted by the Test and Trace service eight days after she learned of her positive result.

By Andy Moffatt
Wednesday, 7th October 2020, 8:57 am

Sally Fazeli, from Preston, Lancashire, received the call - asking for details of people she had been in contact with and offering advice on self-isolating - just as her own period of self-isolation was ending.

Read More

Read More
This is every confirmed case of coronavirus in the North West on Wednesday, Octo...

Mrs Fazeli, 33, first experienced symptoms - a cough and a fever - on September 19, had a test the following day and received notification of the positive result on September 21.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Mother-to-be Sally Fazeli, pictured with husband Ayman, had already finished self-isolating by the time she received the call – which included tips on how to self-isolate

But she did not receive a call from Test and Trace until September 28 - nine days into the 10-day self-isolation period.

"I was like 'Luckily my mum isn't too far away so she was able to get us some things' because we ran out of the essentials, and both of us couldn't go food shopping or leave the house.

The Government's Test and Trace system has continued to receive criticism

"He said because I was in the vulnerable category I would have been able to access more support in that area, which I didn't know ... I was like 'I guess it doesn't even matter now anyway'."

As one of his wife's contacts, Mr Fazeli - who, along with the couple's two children, tested negative - then received a call himself on October 1.

He said: "It was all a bit 'after the horse had bolted' kind of thing - so not exactly impressive."

He added: "I watched that Panorama thing last week when it had contact tracers saying they're champing at the bit to help, and they're sat there twiddling their thumbs, waiting to be assigned cases to call - it doesn't seem to stack up."

The Test and Trace programme has faced numerous problems in recent weeks, with many people unable to get tests or forced to travel long distances to receive them.

It was then revealed that an error at Public Health England meant 16,000 coronavirus patients had not been traced.

Mr and Mrs Fazeli also took it upon themselves to notify people they had been in contact with, including a restaurant where they had celebrated their son's birthday shortly before Mrs Fazeli started to exhibit symptoms.

"We did our own due diligence, but not everyone will do that," Mr Fazeli said.

He added: "It wasn't a great experience of the service, put it that way."

Mrs Fazeli has now fully recovered.