Hoglet in danger of drowning in a Preston garden is rescued by RSPCA
A hoglet has been rescued after he got himself into a pickle when he took a tumble down an uncovered water-filled drain in a Preston garden.
Nicknamed Mr Prickles, the wet and shivering hoglet was spotted by a homeowner in Preston Road, Grimsargh on Thursday (October 15).
The woman saw the hoglet trapped down the drain which was filled with water, and was worried that he might be dead.
But after she saw bubbles coming from his nose, she realised he was still alive, and immediately began trying to drain some of the water out to save him from drowning.
Unable to free the poor hoglet, the woman called the RSPCA for help.
Inspector Emma Dingley (pictured) rushed to the scene where she used a grasping pole to safely ease the shivering hedgehog from the drain.
She then took him to the vets for a check up where he was found to be in good health, but very cold. Emma took him home and cared for him overnight, keeping him warm with a blanket and a hot water bottle as he recovered from his ordeal.
On Friday he was taken to the RSPCA’s Stapeley Grange Wildlife Centre in Nantwich, Cheshire and was found to be about five weeks old.
He will be cared for there until he is old enough to be released back into the wild.
Emma said: "He was really lucky to survive as the water was up to his mouth so it is fortunate he was spotted or he would have drowned.
"I think he must have been out with his mother and the rest of her litter at night when he fell down the drain as he was too young to be out on his own.
"The vet said he was in good health just very cold and as it was late I took him to my home and kept him warm.
"He was sneezing and shivering so I wrapped him in a blanket with a hot water bottle inside and about half an hour later he stopped shaking.
"I then gave him a big feed of cat food and he had some water. He was soon fast asleep wrapped in a blanket in a safe place and seemed very content.
"He will now spend some time at the rescue centre and once he is old enough he will be released back into the wild.
"We often get called to cases of wildlife stuck in drains and holes and this case does highlight the importance of people making sure to check their gardens for any such traps.
"If they spot an uncovered drain or hole in the floor of their garden we would urge them to cover it up to stop incidents like this happening to protect our wildlife."
The RSPCA is also urging people to ensure they check their bonfires before lighting them ahead of bonfire night in two weeks time.
The warning comes over fears that wildlife, including hedgehogs, could be burned to death or seriously injured.
The animal charity advises people to always thoroughly check their bonfires immediately before they’re lit, and ideally only build them on the day they are going to be lit and not before, to ensure hedgehogs and other animals don’t climb inside, as a pile of leaves or wood is seen as an attractive nesting place.
For more information about how to help hedgehogs in your garden, visit the RSPCA’s website: https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/wildlife/inthewild/gardenhedgehogsTo help the RSPCA continue rescuing, rehabilitating and rehoming animals in need of care, please visit their website or call their donation line on 0300 123 8181.
The Lancashire Post is more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription to support our journalism. For unlimited access to Lancashire news and information online, you can subscribe here: https://www.lep.co.uk/subscriptions