New warnings issued after tragic boating deaths
Fresh warnings over ‘DIY’ work and the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning have been issued following the deaths of a Leyland mum and her daughter.
Kelly Webster, 36, and her 10-year-old daughter Lauren Thornton died in April 2013 during a family boating holiday in the Lake District.
The pair were found unconscious inside a private yacht, and a post-mortem found they suffered carbon monoxide poisoning.
Now, the Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) has released a detailed report following an investigation into the tragic incident.
It found that a portable generator was the source of the carbon monoxide emission, which are “usually supplied with warnings that they should not be used in enclosed spaces or be modified.”
REVEALED: The Preston city centre facelift plan that could leave some areas unrecognisable in 10 years' time
Six-mile tailbacks on M6 southbound north of Preston after collision closes a lane
Newly-wed who lost wife to cancer only 13 weeks after their wedding makes £50,000 donation to charity in her memory
Police appeal after attempted robbery of woman on Lancaster canal towpath
Chorley man wanted in connection with threats to kill arrested moments before he was about to indulge in meal at McDonald’s in Blackburn
The branch is now advising that all new recreational boats should be fitted with carbon monoxide sensors, and has issued a warning about the dangers of people modifying parts of their boats.
The report said: “During the course of the MAIB investigation into this accident, it was found that a number of boat owners on Windermere had installed portable generators in enclosed spaces.
“Many had installed the generators themselves.
“There are numerous systems on board boats that, regardless of a boat owner’s engineering and mechanical skills, should only be installed, maintained or modified by a qualified marine engineer.”
- The boat’s owner, a 41-year-old man from Leyland, is due to face trial charged with manslaughter.