Man rescued after pizza fire
Firefighters had to smash their way into a smoke-filled house to rescue a man who had fallen asleep cooking a pizza.
And later they praised a neighbour who raised the alarm after smelling smoke.
The drama happened at around 12.45am today when crews were called to an address in St Stephen’s Road, Deepdale, Preston.
A brigade spokesman said: “It appears the gentleman had put a pizza in the oven for his supper and then fallen asleep.
“One of the neighbours smelled smoke and called us.
Fishergate cordoned off and numerous police in attendance due to a distressed individual in Preston city centre
Body of teenage girl recovered from water in Tameside after getting into difficulty
Police issue image of a man seen with missing Leyland girl, 15, in Blackpool today
M6 to close overnight to allow two bridges damaged by vehicle strikes to be repaired
Closing date announced Royal Bank of Scotland's Preston Fishergate branch: what it means for customers, when the doors close and where to access RBS banking services
“When we arrived we had to gain entry by means of force - by breaking through the door.
“There was a pizza cooking in the oven and the man was in the bedroom. Fortunately it was far enough away from the kitchen and wasn’t badly affected by the smoke.
“The man did not require any first aid and was fine. Luckily for him we got there just in time.
“He is fortunate that he had a vigilant neighbour who smelled smoke and alerted us.
“Had that not happened then it could have had really serious consequences.
“The message here is that you should never leave cooking food unattended, especially if you are under the influence of alcohol.
“This man was lucky, although his front door suffered a bit of damage when we broke in.”