Leyland tradesmen hailed as heroes after rescuing mum and son from burning home
Two Leyland tradesmen have been hailed as heroes after they rescued a young mum and her 12-year-old son from a house fire last night (Thursday, November 19).
David Hardman, 50, and his neighbour Andy Wilson, 46, rushed to the family's rescue after the home in Boundary Street, off Preston Road, caught fire at 3.30pm.
The pair have told the Post about the remarkable rescue which saw them grab a ladder from their work van and save the pair who were trapped upstairs as the blaze raged below.
The woman and her son have been treated for burns and smoke inhalation and are now recovering at a neighbours home.
But it could have been a very different outcome if not for the quick-thinking actions of two brave neighbours, David Hardman and Andy Wilson.
In a fortunate twist of fate, local electrician David returned home from work early and pulled up outside his home as plumes of black smoke came billowing out of his neighbour's house.
Clinging to the upstairs window was his neighbour's young son, gasping for breath and desperately trying to escape from the creeping flames.
Seconds later, David's neighbour Andy pulled into the street and the pair immediately went to work rescuing the boy and his mum.
Andy, a TV aerial and satellite engineer, grabbed his extendable ladder from atop his works van and held it against the wall of the burning terraced home.
He and David then guided the terrified boy out of the upstairs window where he climbed down to safety, with his mum following moments later.
"It was lucky that we were in the right place at the right time," said David.
"As soon as mum and son were out, just seconds later, the window downstairs exploded and the flames took hold.
"The mum was absolutely hysterical and the poor little lad, it was his birthday this week. They still had the sash across the door saying 'Happy Birthday' to him.
"Just before Christmas as well. They've lost everything."
This morning, the family's ruined possessions could be found on their doorstep, with clothes, trainers and even Christmas wrapping paper and gift bags left in a sodden and smoke-blackened heap.
The local community has been full of praise for David and Andy's actions, but the brave pair insist that "anyone else would have done the same thing."
Andy said: "We were just here at the right time. It's lucky, but I know that anyone else would have done the same thing.
"We didn't even think. We just wanted to help the family and make sure they got out safe."
The pair were also quick to thank local fire crews who arrived on the scene within minutes of David calling 999.
David said: "The fire brigade got here within minutes, I couldn't believe how quick they got here. They were incredible."
Fire crews from Leyland and Bamber Bridge immediately began tackling the blaze and managed to rescue the family's cat. You can read our full report on the firefighting efforts here.
The family of the young mum and her son say they have lost everything in the fire, just weeks before Christmas.
Andy and David are now appealing for the community to pull together to help the young family get back on their feet.
"This is a young family who have lost absolutely everything," said Andy.
"After the year we've had as well, with COVID-19, it's just unbelievable.
"If we can all just pull together to help them in any way we can, whether its raising some money or donating clothes, anything like that.
"They need all the help they can get right now."
A crowdfunding page has been set up to help the family and has already raised £1,350 in less than 24 hours.
You can help support the family by making a donation here.
The Lancashire Post is more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription to support our journalism.
For unlimited access to Lancashire news and information online, you can subscribe here.