Footballer, 17, electrocuted trying to retrieve ball at Euxton
A young footballer has been electrocuted and two of his friends injured while trying to retrieve a ball with a metal pole.
The 17-year-old, who has not been named by police, and the two other teenagers are believed to have touched an overhead power line at Euxton Villa FC's ground in Runshaw Hall Lane last night.
It is understood the boys were attempting to reach the ball in a pond when the accident happened.
Police have launched an investigation into the incident which happened shortly after 6pm.
The two other teenagers were taken to the Royal Preston Hospital suffering from burns, but are not said to be seriously hurt.
A statement issued by the police today said: "Emergency services were called to Runshaw Hall Lane in Euxton following a report of a child being seriously injured.
"Police, paramedics and fire service attended but sadly the child, aged 17, was pronounced dead at the scene. Two other teenagers were not seriously hurt.
"An investigation is underway and remains in the very early stages, but it is believed the children may have touched an overhead electrical line with a metal pole."
Insp John McNamara, of Lancashire Police, said: “This appalling incident has led to the tragic death of a young man and my thoughts are first and foremost with his family and loved ones at this time. The family are being supported by specially trained officers.
“An investigation is underway and remains in its very early stages but I would appeal to anyone who has any information to get in touch with us by calling 101 and quoting log 1241 of March 6th.”