Fire safety warning after blaze in kitchen

Firefighters have reminded people about the importance of calling for help if a blaze breaks out.

Saturday, 21st May 2016, 9:10 pm
Updated Saturday, 21st May 2016, 11:16 pm

A towel caught on fire when it touched a gas hob while someone was cooking at their home on Saturday night.

Crews from Preston fire station were called to Watling Street Road, Preston, at around 7pm.

The occupier dropped the towel on the floor and put out the fire themselves before it could spread.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

While they did a “good job” of putting out the flames, a fire service spokesman has reminded people that it is safer not to tackle a fire.

He said: “Obviously we don’t advocate people tackling fires, they should leave that to us.

“Get out of the house and call us.”