Fears of person "trapped in basement flat" spark 999 call-out
Crews raced to a fire in South Shore last night over fears that a person was trapped in a basement flat, say fire services.
Three fire engines attended the fire in Withnell Road at around 9.30pm but the occupant had escaped after being alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm.
A spokesman for the fire service said: "We were called to a fire involving cooking last night.
"There were some concerns that somebody was still in the basement flat but nobody was in the property when we got there.
"We used a Positive Pressure Ventilation Unit to clear the flat of smoke. Thankfully nobody was injured and the flat suffered minor smoke damage.
"We would like to remind people to never leave cooking unattended."
Nobody was injured during the incident.