Expert firefighter called to rescue tiny 'chug' dog stuck in biscuit jar

A tiny dog had to be rescued by a specialist firefighter when it got its head stuck in a biscuit jar.

Friday, 15th September 2017, 12:52 pm
Updated Friday, 15th September 2017, 12:55 pm
A dog which had to be rescued by a specialist firefighter

The pug and Chihuahua cross-breed puppy - known as a chug - got into trouble as it tried to eat up the final crumbs in the jar at its home in Wavell Road, Southampton, Hampshire, on Sunday.

A Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said that the owner of the dog - named Buddy - used washing up liquid in a bid to free it but when this failed, they contacted the fire service for help.

Animal rescue tactical adviser Anton Phillips said: "This was an unusual job and it was strange being able to see the animal's doleful expression through the glass.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

"I was keen not to risk breaking the glass as this could have injured the animal.

"I used manual manipulation to release the dog's head. I pulled back the loose skin and positioned it so I could get one ear out then the other. There was a pop as I got its head free.

"I have dealt with a lot of animals over the years and I always say if they can get it in, I can get it out."