Two arrested over 1988 backpacker murder

Two men have been arrested by detectives investigating the murder of a German backpacker in Northern Ireland 30 years ago.

Monday, 21st May 2018, 11:03 am
Updated Monday, 21st May 2018, 11:06 am
The body of Munich teenager IngaMaria Hauserwas found dumped in a remote part of Ballypatrick Forest

Read More

Read More
Father of tragic Saffie Roussos: We have seen the worst of human nature but sin...

She had previously journeyed from Liverpool to Preston, before heading north to Scotland and on to Larne in Northern Ireland on April 6, 1988.

The 18-year-old's death in April 1988 remains one of the region's most high-profile unsolved murders.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The body of Munich teenager IngaMaria Hauserwas found dumped in a remote part of Ballypatrick Forest

The two suspects, aged 58 and 61, were held in the Loughguile area of Co Antrim early on Monday morning.

The arrests come weeks after a much-publicised series of appeals to mark the 30th anniversary of the murder.

In April, detectives said they believed a number of people may have been involved either directly in the murder or in the subsequent cover-up, and said they only need fractional pieces of evidence to bring the chief suspects to justice.

Police have a male genetic profile found at the murder scene.

The body of Munich teenager IngaMaria Hauserwas found dumped in a remote part of Ballypatrick Forest

A number of years ago, in one of the largest DNA screenings ever undertaken in the UK, 2,000 samples failed to produce a definitive match.

Prior to her death, Ms Hauser had travelled through England and Scotland and, according to diary entries, intended to travel south to Dublin when she docked at Larne, Co Antrim.

But for reasons as yet unexplained, she ended up going in the opposite direction and was found dead in remote woodland two weeks later.

It is understood the IRA carried out its own investigation into the killing 30 years ago.

It is believed republican paramilitaries had considered passing information about the alleged murderer to the RUC (Royal Ulster Constabulary) at the height of the Troubles, but did not follow through.

After Monday's arrests, the officer leading the investigation, Police Service of Northern Ireland Detective Chief Superintendent Raymond Murray, renewed his appeal for information.

"If there are any witnesses still out there with any further information which might help police then I would ask them to come forward now and speak to detectives," he said.

"Even if there are people who know what happened but have stayed silent out of friendship or family loyalty, it is still not too late to come forward and tell us what you know.

"Failure to do so can be a criminal offence in itself and surely it would be better to come to police and discuss what happened rather than take the risk we will come to you."

The two men are being questioned by detectives.