Preston mum tells of horror after witnessing 'terror attack' aftermath at Manchester Arena

A Preston mother has spoken of her horror after witnessing the aftermath of last night's suspected terror attack in Manchester.

Tuesday, 23rd May 2017, 9:49 am
Updated Sunday, 4th June 2017, 9:41 pm
Children and young people have been confirmed among the dead

Emma told the BBC last night how she had arrived at the concert to collection her 15 year-old daughter and 17 year-old son at around 10.30pm.

She said: "The kids were in the concert on their own. Me and my husband dropped them off at around tea-time.

More on the incident in Manchester:

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

"The bags had been checked by security and security were on all night so you couldn't get into the arena. We were stood at the top of the stairs and the glass exploded.

"It was near to where they were selling the merchandise. It was definitely a bomb. The whole building shook. It was the worst ever.

"Because of the panic and the sound we obviously ran to find the children. Fortunately for us we were all safe to tell the story."

Royal Preston Hospital was on standby to receive people wounded in the attack but were not required.

Lancashire Police also offered their support to Greater Manchester Police.