Murder inquiry launched after Blackpool assault man dies in hospital at Preston

A murder investigation has been launched after a man died following an assault last month.

Monday, 3rd August 2020, 3:58 pm
Updated Monday, 3rd August 2020, 4:04 pm
Scene of the assault at the junction of Lytham Road and Bournemouth Road.

Matthew Pearson, 42, originally from Garstang, passed away at Royal Preston Hospital yesterday, more than two weeks after the incident in Blackpool.

Police say he was subjected to an assault on Lytham Road, close to the junction with Bournemouth Road, at around 6:45pm on Saturday, July 18.

He was knocked unconscious during the attack, but after regaining consciousness walked to a nearby address.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

After becoming unwell, he was taken to Blackpool Victoria Hospital with serious head injuries, and later transferred to Royal Preston Hospital where he died. A post mortem examination is being held to establish the cause of his death.

Detectives are piecing together Matthew’s last movements on the day he was assaulted and the days leading up to him being taken to hospital.

DI Mark Dickinson from Lancashire’s Force Major Investigation Team said: “We are seeking to build a detailed picture of the incident and specifically what happened to him on Saturday the 18th of July.”

“If you saw him or spoke to him, or if know about what happened to him on that day, or of any significant events involving Matthew in the previous days, please get in contact as you may have vital information to assist our investigation.”

Matthew’s family have paid the following tribute to him. In a statement they said: “Matthew was a much loved son, brother, dad and friend to many. He was loving, kind and intelligent always with a book in his hand as he loved to read.

“We are completely heartbroken by his death and our lives without him will never be the same again.”

Two people were arrested in connection with the incident.

Andrew Claydon, 44, of Lytham Road, Blackpool, has been charged with grievous bodily harm and appeared at Blackpool Magistrates’ Court on July 22.

A 29-year-old woman from Blackpool who was arrested on suspicion of assault, has been bailed until August 10 pending further enquiries.

Anyone with information should contact police on 101 quoting log number 1310 of July 18th or independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.