M55 motorist who reached 150mph through roadworks says he was going to 'emergency' in Blackpool
A motorist who reached 150mph on motorways through Lancashire, including a strip of roadworks, is to face a trial of issue after disputing some of the details of his case.
Mohammad Usman Aslam, of Brighton Street, Heckmondwike, West Yorkshire, admits dangerous driving, but is arguing he was responding to an ‘emergency’ in Blackpool.
It is understood the 21-year-old motorist was behind the wheel of a Volkswagen Golf that drove up the M6 and onto the M55, where it reached speeds of up to 150mph.
During a management hearing at Preston Crown Court Judge Richard Gioserano was told the vehicle was no longer in his possession and had been sold.
Defending, Richard English said the defendant was planning to call his sister to give evidence.
Judge Gioserano said Aslam’s evidence about why he had “driven in this dangerous way needs to be tested” adding: “ I’m not prepared to just accept it.
“If he gives this account and a judge rejects his account he’ll lose his credit for pleading guilty.”
A trial of issue, also called a Newton hearing, is where the defendant has pleaded guilty to an offence on the basis of a different version of facts from those put forward by the prosecution, and the judge, without a jury, has a hearing to decide the facts of the case and the basis on which the defendant will be sentenced.
Aslam must give evidence, be cross examined and call anyone else who can give evidence about the incident.
The trial of issue is expected to take place on February 16, 2021.
The Lancashire Post is more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription to support our journalism. For unlimited access to Lancashire news and information online, you can subscribe here.