Chorley arson attack duo posted burning material through letterbox after fracas at lockdown house party

Two disgruntled thugs who embarked on a revenge arson attack after they were thrown out of a house party during the first lockdown have been jailed.

Monday, 8th March 2021, 3:45 pm

Sean Fisher, 25, of no fixed abode, and Liam Wilkinson, 30, of Pennine Road, Chorley, posted materials doused in an accelerant through the postbox of a home while three people were still inside, then set fire to it.

They had been told to leave the party on Vicarage Street, Chorley, after Wilkinson assaulted the hostess.

The property, near Erskine Road park, caught fire at around 3.10am on June 24.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Liam Wilkinson

Three people were found trapped inside one of the upstairs rooms when firefighters arrived, as flames were tearing through the bottom floor of the building.

The terrified family was rescued by firefighters who smashed through an upstairs window, before the casualties were passed into the care of paramedics.

Firefighters used four breathing apparatus, a hose reel and ventilation unit to extinguish the fire and were there for approximately three hours.

During their sentencing, held at the Nightingale Court in Ashton Hall, Lancaster, Judge Andrew Jefferies QC said Wilkinson posed a risk to the public and imposed an extended three year licence period on top of his six year and one month jail term.

Sean Fisher

Fisher was jailed for five and a half years, and both men were given an indefinite restraining order banning contact with a woman at the address.

Judge Jefferies added: "During the first lockdown a party was taking place and alcohol was being drunk.

"Without going into all the details you two first attended that party, then were asked to leave in the circumstances of Mr Wilkinson causing minor injury to the hostess.

"It was then followed by the much more serious offences - namely the returning to that property as a planned act of revenge with an accelerant purchased for the very purpose of putting it through the letterbox, setting fire to it and thereby endangering the three occupants of that house."

"You both were under the influence or drink and or drugs. This was a revenge attack that involved planning and premeditation.

"Three lives were endangered by your actions."

Both men admitted arson with intent to endanger life.

Addressing Wilkinson, who has 21 previous convictions for 36 offences, and also admits criminal damage and assault, the judge added: " The theme that flows through both your pre sentence report and psychiatric report is there are serious concerns about you posing a risk to the public when in alcohol."

The Lancashire Post is more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription to support our journalism. For unlimited access to Lancashire news and information online, you can subscribe here.