BREAKING: Man jailed for six years and four months after admitting manslaughter of popular dad who was stabbed at his home

Distraught relatives of a dad knifed by his partner's brother have told a court how their family has been "ripped apart" by the tragedy.

Friday, 27th July 2018, 4:46 pm
Updated Friday, 27th July 2018, 4:52 pm
Wayne Dodgson

Jordan Disley, 23, is starting a six year and four month sentence after admitting the manslaughter of Wayne Dodgson, who had taken him in after he was released from a prison term and had nowhere else to go.

Mr Dodgson, who was 6ft 4in, was described as a "gentle giant" by relatives and friends.

His loved ones who told of their despair in a harrowing statement written by his father, Steven Dodgson, in which he said: " A father should not outlive his son."

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The defendant's sister, mum-of-five Kelly Bean said she had lost her "best friend, soulmate and father to her children".

Disley, dressed in a khaki green T-shirt and grey tracksuit bottoms, appeared to wipe tears away in the dock at Preston Crown Court as the statements were read.

Mr Dodgson was stabbed in the stomach and the heart during a violent confrontation with Disley at the home they shared on Marl Croft, Penwortham, at around 7pm on February 27, and died six days later from sepsis and pericarditis - inflammation of the heart resulting directly from the 14cm deep chest wound.

The court heard Mr Dodgson, 29, had been out earlier in the day with a friend to collect a dolls house and pram for his daughter's birthday, which was the following day.

He and the friend had also been drinking and returned to Dodgson's home with a crate of lager.However, the dad then became involved in an argument with his fiance, Kelly Bean, during which he claimed he had slept with someone else, the court was told.

Disley had telephoned her eldest son Liam after Mr Dodgson threw a can at her while her younger children were sitting with her.

The court heard Liam had then telephoned Mr Dodgson, which appeared to inflame him.

He went into the kitchen and started punching the defendant, who was preparing a cheese sandwich and was holding a kitchen knife.

In the struggle Disley stabbed him twice.

Prosecuting, Francis McEntee said: "It has always been accepted that Mr Dodgson was the aggressor and that the defendant had the knife in his hand for a lawful purpose, he was preparing food.

" It's the prosecution's view that the defendant displayed an excessive reaction in stabbing Mr Dodgson following a confrontation, which it has to be conceded was instigated by the deceased."

The court heard Mr Dodgson had been the long term partner of Kelly Bean, the defendant's sister, and that Disley had lived with them at various times.

Mr McEntee said: "The fatal stabbing occurs against a background of a domestic argument.

"Mr Dodgson had been drinking during the afternoon, drink was recognised to have an adverse effect upon his behaviour but only in that he was hard work. That would result in arguments. Those would often start in a jokey manner but often became abusive.

"The men returned at 5.30pm.

Kelly Bean describes an argument having developed with her partner during the course of which he told her he had recently slept with another woman.

"The argument continued for 45 minutes before Disley returned to the address It is clear that having been present for about 20 minutes the defendant left the living room. "

After Miss Bean's son had phoned him, the court was told he "turned his aggression" on Disley and that she and Mr Dodgson's friend had heard a "loud bang" in the kitchen.

She went into the kitchen shouting at them to "stop it", but saw blood soaking into his shirt. He was shouting that he had been stabbed.

Disley was told to leave and turned up at a friends house saying: " I've stabbed Wayne".

Defending, Peter Wright QC said there was "genuine remorse" and added: " While of course the consequences of that day weight heavily upon the family they are consequences that also bear heavily upon him too."

He said the attack was not premeditated but accepted it was a "reckless dangerous act".

Judge Robert Altham said: "It's interesting and of note to see Kelly Bean had not wanted the defendant to stay at the premises but it was Mr Dodgson who persuaded her that the kindness should be extended to him of allowing him to stay at the house.

"It's important to emphasize that although that the basis of plea asserts Mr Dodgson was the aggressor, it does not assert that the defendant was acting in excessive and unlawful self defence.

"This is not a case of self defence.

"The defendant decided to engage in that fight appreciating there was an inherent and serious danger in doing so. There was plainly an obvious risk of more than minor harm to Mr Dodgson.

"It is implicit in the plea that the defendant accepts he must have been reckless as to whether harm could be caused."

He said the fact he was on prison licence at the time aggravated the matter.