Casualty wakes up "choking on smoke" after chip pan fire in Preston
The casualty was treated for the effects of smoke inhalation and taken to Royal Preston Hospital by paramedics.
A spokesman for Lancashire Fire Services said: "A chip pan was left on hob and the occupier fell asleep, waking up choking on the smoke.
"The fire in the pan had burnt out when firefighters arrived and had not spread to furniture or fittings.
"The casualty was suffering from the effects of breathing smoke and was attended to by paramedics.
"Firefighters used a portable fan unit to extract the smoke from the building."
The condition of the patient is currently unknown.