Casualty wakes up "choking on smoke" after chip pan fire in Preston

A person woke-up "choking on smoke" after they fell asleep with a chip-pan still on the hob, say fire services.

Monday, 24th April 2017, 9:47 am
Updated Tuesday, 9th May 2017, 7:07 pm
The casualty was treated for the effects of smoke inhalation and taken to Royal Preston Hospital by paramedics.

Fire crews from Bamber Bridge, Penwortham and Leyland attended the incident on Greenwood Street at around 11.15am on April 23.

The casualty was treated for the effects of smoke inhalation and taken to Royal Preston Hospital by paramedics.

A spokesman for Lancashire Fire Services said: "A chip pan was left on hob and the occupier fell asleep, waking up choking on the smoke.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

"The fire in the pan had burnt out when firefighters arrived and had not spread to furniture or fittings.

"The casualty was suffering from the effects of breathing smoke and was attended to by paramedics.

"Firefighters used a portable fan unit to extract the smoke from the building."

The condition of the patient is currently unknown.