An exciting year ahead at the Walled Garden

Award-winning Worden Park's Walled Garden is looking ship shape and ready for spring - and beyond.

The Leyland attraction has been preparing for renovations that will taking place throughout the summer.

Contractors have been in to remove the glass from the Vine House.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The Walled Garden, with its original historic features, is hidden away in the centre of the park.

The team there is well into production of young plants for hanging baskets and is now taking orders from the public.

The Walled Garden held a free interactive session for Leyland in Bloom earlier this month.

Other events in April included builidng a Bug Hotel children’s workshop.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

South Ribble Council, which runs Worden Park, said: “What a terrific facility in Worden Park - if you’ve never been, it’s well worth a visit.

“At the heart of Worden Park, the garden is open on weekdays from 10am to 3.30pm and is the perfect place to get some gardening inspiration and to pick up a few bargains along the way.

“Historically, the garden is thought to date back to 1777 and once part a crucial part of the Worden Estate, as vegetables were grown there for the ffarington family in Worden Hall.

“It was brought back to life in 2013 after a 12-month-long £100,000 restoration project led by South Ribble Council and Brothers of Charity.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“It now serves as a living museum, allowing visitors to get a glimpse of how the garden would have been an important asset for the hall’s residents in times gone by, and also appreciate its beauty now.”

The Farington family purchased the house and surrounding lands of Shaw Hall after their original family seat – Old Worden Hall – was judged too small for the family’s wealth and social status.

With surrounding farmland, the Faringtons formed the park with Shaw Hall, now renamed Worden Hall, at its centre.

The area outside the house was blossoming gardens.

In 1941, there was a fire in the house, and most of the hall was severely damaged.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The house remained standing until the council purchased the Hall from the family after the war.

The most damaged part of the hall was torn down.

However what is left of the house and outbuildings can still be seen today.

Related topics: