A curious cat miraculously suffered zero injuries - despite plunging 40ft into a river

A curious cat has been reunited with his owner after miraculously suffering zero injuries - despite plunging 40ft into a river.

Monday, 19th April 2021, 3:08 pm

Ollie the moggy, who is deaf, was spotted perilously perched on a wall by the River Mersey near Liverpool before tumbling off the edge and landing in the water last week.

Firefighters scrambled to the scene and deployed a marine rescue unit, which pushed a float towards the one-year-old kitty.

Ollie managed to hop on to the float before being pulled to safety by the rescuers, who placed him in a carrier and travelled back to shore.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Stranded: Ollie the moggy

The fortuitous feline was then winched back up to the top of the wall, where he was reunited with his relieved owner Emma Tarpey, 26.

Ollie was rushed to a vet where, unbelievably, he was found to have suffered no injuries.

Emma, who lives close to the scene of the fall, said Ollie had been outside with his brother Parsley and tended not to wander far as he is deaf.

She was only aware of his predicament when a neighbour saw what was happening and went to tell her.

Safe and dry - RSPCA to the rescue

Emma said: “I was so shocked when I found out and I ran straight over to where he was. Parsley was nearby meowing to him.

"I was so happy when the fireman scooped him into his arms.

“I think he certainly lost one of his nine lives during this incident and as he doesn’t go out much we are going to keep him as a house cat to protect him, especially as he is deaf.

“I am so grateful to everyone who helped in the rescue.

"The RSPCA and fire crews were fantastic and I am just grateful to the person who spotted him and reported the incident.”

Emma said Ollie is already back to his usual self playing with his brother and his favourite ball.

The first thing he did when he got home was eat lots of food before having a long sleep.

Ollie found himself in his predicament on April 13 while out and about at Priory Wharf near Woodside Ferry Terminal in Birkenhead.

A member of the public spotted the cat perched on a small piece of concrete in the river and alerted the RSPCA.

Animal rescuer Leanne Cragg was sent to the scene and could see the frightened feline on a small wall in the river.

There was no access down to the area and, as the light was fading and the tide was about to come in, she called Merseyside Fire and Rescue for help at about 8.30pm.

After Ollie was returned to shore Leanne checked him over before sending him to the vet.

She said: “It was a fantastic team effort and I am so grateful to Merseyside Fire and Rescue for their help.

“I was concerned for the cat’s safety as I knew the tide was about to come in and it gets very high in that area and it was also getting dark.

“There was no safe route down to get to Ollie so the fire crew suggested using their specialist water team who did a great job.

“As the firefighter got close Ollie moved towards him and meowed and was happy to get into his arms - he knew he was going to be safe.

“Emma was delighted to have Ollie back and it was so nice to see the pair reunited.

“He is a very lucky cat - it was such a big fall and to come through the whole incident unscathed is amazing.”

Merseyside Fire and Rescue Station manager Ronnie Duffy said: “This was a great – and very different - animal rescue.

"Our marine unit was instrumental in devising and carrying out a plan to lift the cat to safety.”

It is thanks to our loyal readers that we can continue to provide the trusted news, analysis and insight that matters to you. For unlimited access to our unrivalled local reporting, you can take out a subscription here and help support the work of our dedicated team of reporters.