A fifth of parents have embarrassing photos as a result of a trip to Santa’s grotto - with 38 per cent of kids pulling off Santa’s beard, and 35 per cent running away from St Nick.
And kids crying on Santa’s knee has topped a poll of 2,000 parents, finding out the most embarrassing moments for parents at Christmas.
Other cringeworthy events from December 25 include youngsters telling a relative they don’t like their present, asking them how much it cost, or opening the wrong gift.
The study was commissioned by Virgin Media to celebrate the launch of its free virtual Santa’s Grotto experience, which is open for applications.
A spokesperson said: “Every parent will experience a cringeworthy moment due to their youngsters at some point and it seems Christmas is the season for it to happen.
“Kids say what they think and while sometimes that leaves mums and dads feeling embarrassed, it can also create some hilarious family memories.”
TOP 10 WAYS KIDS HAVE EMBARRASSED THEIR PARENTS AT CHRISTMAS:
1. Cried when they saw Santa at a grotto
2. Told someone who gave them a present that they didn't like it
3. Told someone what their Christmas gift was before they'd opened it
4. Eaten all the chocolates off a Christmas tree
5. Asked someone how much money they spent on their Christmas gift
6. Found Christmas gifts in the house which were meant to be from Santa
7. Eaten someone else's Christmas chocolate
8. Unwrapped the presents under a Christmas tree which weren't meant for them
9. Told someone they didn't like their Christmas dinner/cooking
10. Told someone they didn't like their Christmas jumper
It is thanks to our loyal readers that we can continue to provide the trusted news, analysis and insight that matters to you. For unlimited access to our unrivalled local reporting, you can take out a subscription here and help support the work of our dedicated team of reporters.