Running until September 11, the exhibition was curated by Naomi Parsons following a decade of research into the much-dreaded place.
The story of Lancaster Workhouse unfolds across two cleverly designed rooms using memorabilia and memories to bring its history to life.
Although Lancaster’s longest established workhouse was in East Road, mainly where much of Lancaster Royal Grammar School is now located, the earliest known ‘poorhouse’ was on the later site of Springfield Barracks and Storeys, just off South Road.
Love Island winner - Prestonian Ekin-Su Cülcüloğlu - reveals special announcement with beau Davide Sanclimenti on premiere of The Big Breakfast 2022
School's out: Here's 36 scenes showing from what life was like at Archbishop Temple High School in the 90s and 00s
Sign of the times: Here's 24 pictures showing the quirky signs found on pubs in Preston - those long gone and forgotten and those still serving pints
Years in pictures: Here's 37 pictures from 2009 showing what the people of Preston were getting up to
Long lost Preston pubs: Here's 33 pictures of forgotten boozers in Preston that no longer serve pints
But in 1787, the powers-that-be decided a larger site was needed and chose the area between Wyresdale and Quernmore Roads though this didn’t improve the poorhouse’s bad reputation.
Workhouse conditions had to be worse than the average person living in poverty outside could expect.
However, many of the people arriving at the workhouse had worked and lived in their own homes until faced with illness, accident or lack of support.
A ‘ticket’ for the workhouse was supplied by the Receiving Officer based in what is now Marks & Spencer in Penny Street.
On arrival, men were separated from women and children, all were bathed and given workhouse clothes.
On average, Lancaster Workhouse accommodated between 100 and 180 people.
The workhouse was largely self-sufficient, boasting a schoolroom, chapel, kitchens, infirmary, laundry and cells, workshops, woodcutting yards, a piggery and agricultural land.
Separate blocks were allocated for ‘casuals’ – vagrants or people from outside Lancaster – and those with infectious diseases.
In 1911, the vagrant wards saw more than 10,000 admissions.
As the name suggests, workhouses involved work. Men usually worked outdoors while women cleaned, washed the laundry and ran the kitchens. Some also helped in the
infirmary and nursery.
Food was pretty basic and had to be eaten from a tin can in silence. Breakfast and supper usually involved porridge while dinner often featured soup or stew with bread.
In 1831, two inmates stole and ate a turkey from the workhouse and were transported for life.
On Sundays ‘inmates’ had to attend church, initially at their own chapel but from 1857, Anglicans attended the newly built Christ Church, nearby.
Those considered ‘deserving’ were also allowed a little recreation on Sunday afternoons and weekday evenings and by the Thirties, they could even enjoy day trips and cinema visits.
Children had a particularly tough time in the workhouse and the story of one – Isabella Hudson – is told in a short film at the exhibition.
When notorious Lancaster GP, Dr Buck Ruxton was arrested for murdering his wife and maid, his children spent time in the workhouse.
They arrived when workhouses were known as Public Assistance Institutions and with the launch of the NHS in 1948, Lancaster Workhouse became Bay View Hospital and Hostel.
The last patients left in the early Sixties and in 1964, the main building was demolished.
To coincide with the exhibition, there’s a free walk and talk on August 20.
Places must be booked by ringing 01524 64637.
A Very Victorian Summer of activities for children is also taking place at the City and Maritime Museums.
Details via Lancaster City Museum’s Facebook.