Simply Red headline at new UK festival in Lancs
A brand new UK festival – coming to Clitheroe next summer – has announced its dates, ticket prices and first of three major headliner.
Taking place on July 6th, 8th and 9th in the grounds of the historic Clitheroe Castle, Summer Days Festival has revealed soul and pop legends Simply Red as the first headline act.
Buoyed by the excellence of new album “Big Love” released in June, the world-renowned group – made famous by a string of massive hits including “Money’s Too Tight (To Mention)”, “Stars”, “Holding Back The Years”, and “If You Don’t Know Me By Now” – are back on the road in celebration of their 30 year anniversary.
“I like an anniversary, and this is a big one,” said Mick Hucknall. “30 years! It’s incredible. What a great thing to celebrate.”
Summer Days promises to be a three-day boutique music and food festival in one of the North’s most beautiful and unique locations. With two live stages featuring more than 30 artists, a locally sourced gourmet food village and a dedicated real ale area there is still much more to be announced.
Organizer John Tyrrell said: “Clitheroe Castle is the perfect location for Summer Days. The grounds are stunning and the castle itself as a magical backdrop is going to be jaw dropping. It’s also not the first time a music festival has happened on this site. Clitheroe Castle Pop Festival ran here for four years in the early 70s with artists like Barclay James Harvest, UFO, Roy Harper and MC5 so in a way we are rekindling the fire.
“It’s going be a quintessentially English summer event - great food and drink, a fun, friendly atmosphere and some seriously good music!”
Summer Days Festival will announce two additional headline acts and a full bill in the coming months as well as a full festival programme including exclusive Summer Days experiences and a high-end food and drink offering.
Tickets go on sale today at 10am.
General access tickets will be available at £55 per day a limited number of daily VIP Upgrade tickets will be available at £75 each.
For full details and to purchase tickets please visit: www.summerdaysfestival.com
In addition to the Summer Days Festival, The Grand in Clitheroe will be hosting a fringe festival featuring three nights of live music, comedy and entertainment at the renowned venue. Tickets for this event and a limited amount of tickets for the Simply Red headline show at Summer Days will be available at their box office.
Simply Red: The Facts
• Before Simply Red, Mick Hucknall sang in punk band Frantic Elevators
• The band name Simply Red is a tribute to Mick’s favourite football team, Manchester United
• In 1998, Mick tried to buy Manchester United.
• Mick dated Catherine Zeta Jone before she met Michael Douglas; Helena Christensen and Martine McCutcheon.
• In a newspaper interview, Mick claimed he slept with 3,000 women in the space of three years.
• Simply Red album Stars was the best-selling album in the UK in 1991 and 1992.
• “Holding Back the Years” was Simply Red’s first number one song.
• “Fairground” was filmed at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.
• Mick has his own wine label called Il Cantante (the singer) and his Sicilian wine, produced near Mount Etna, has received rave reviews.
• With Simply Red bandmate Chris de Margary, Mick bought a country estate in Ireland in 2005 where people can stay for the weekend and go hunting and fishing.