Domestic abuse charity set to close

editorial image
Share this article
0
Have your say

It has been announced that the Safer Preston Domestic Abuse Service will close.

Bosses at the charity, which supports adults and children, say the decision has been made as the charity has no funding to continue delivering core services.

The Police Crime Commissioner awarded the Lancashire Victims Service contract to the national charity Victims Support from April 1, and this contract included supporting all victims of all crime including domestic and sexual violence victims.

An application to save the service was made to the Big Lottery but was not successful.

Saeeda Mayat, manager at Safer Preston said local people would be affected by the loss of local knowledge and links.

She said: “It’s a sad day for our charity but it is an even sadder day for victims of domestic abuse, yet another specialist provider is having to close its doors: the specialist domestic abuse sector has been decimated, losing years of expertise, knowledge and local links, which will affect local people. ”

Debbie Fawcett, chief executive Officer said: “Domestic abuse charities across the county are struggling, last week we saw the closure of the Star Centre over in Rossendale and SafeNet in Burnley had to close their outreach services from the April 1, this week Safer Preston has announced closure. Its absolutely devastating”.

Amanda Elwen, business manager for Safer Together said: “Local charities have gone above and beyond to provide the best possible support and services to victims of domestic abuse, the quality of provision has been evidenced as outstanding. It’s a sad day to hear that another sister service is having to close their doors.”

It is thought Safer Preston will be fully closed from June 1.

Victims of crime including, domestic abuse are advised to call Lancashire Victim Service helpline on 0300 323 0085.