Preston pet owner’s warning after curious kitten killed in tumble dryer

editorial image
Share this article
0
Have your say

Curiosity killed the cat when playful kitten Nala became trapped in a tumble dryer.

Now her distraught owner has urged other pet lovers to check appliances before switching them on.

“I couldn’t bear to see anyone else go through what I’ve gone through,” said Amy Webb at home in the Grange area of Ribbleton, Preston. “It was absolutely horrific and I’m having to have counselling now. I just keep blaming myself.”

Nala, a four-month-old tortoiseshell (pictured), suffered an agonising death after being caught in the dryer for around 30 minutes. She had climbed in unnoticed and snuggled down with the washing before Amy inadvertently shut the door and switched it on.

“Later, when I couldn’t find her, I opened the dryer and she was just lying there,” she said. “I just couldn’t believe it. I felt sick. The dryer must have been on for about half an hour. I wished I had checked before I turned it on, but I never thought. I love animals and this has left me totally shattered. I keep breaking down and I can’t get the images out of my head. I’ve taken the dryer to the tip and I won’t be getting another one. They’re death traps.

“I just want to warn other people to please check your dryer before you turn it on. The consequences, as I found out, can be horrendous.”