Firefighters have issued a stark warning over leaving appliances turned on after a fridge caused a potentially devastating kitchen fire.
Fire crews from Morecambe and Lancaster were called to the incident at 11.51pm on Wednesday evening after a 999 call alerted them to the blaze.
On arrival at the Heysham house, crews found smoke coming from the ground floor windows and front door of the property. The door to the property had been left open after the homeowners fled to safety.
Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered to extinguish the fire and fire crews inside the property found the kitchen alight. The fire was quickly extinguished to prevent further damage to the property.
Although a fridge was found to be the cause of the fire, it was first thought to be a dishwasher and fire crews have issued a warning to homeowners.
Martin Lucas, crew manager at Morecambe said: “This fire could have had devastating consequences if the smoke detectors hadn’t alerted the occupiers within the house who dialled 999.
Please remember do not leave washers, dryers or dishwashers unattended, if a fire occurs in your property raise the alarm, get out, call the fire service out and stay out until you have been told that it is safe to re-enter.”
For more home fire safety advice contact 0800 169 1125.